Ever since I quit my job and shared my story with the people in my life, I have had several people come up to me (virtually and in real life) and tell me their work horror stories.
- Working long hours without pay,
- Letting people go and their workload lumped in with yours,
- Not letting you go on vacation because there isn’t any backup available, etc.
I’m sure I don’t need to tell you these stories – you are probably living them in your own life.
But the thing that saddened me the most was how often people would tell me that they came home from their jobs and spent a few minutes or hours every day crying in their kitchen or on their couches.
Instead of taking the time away from their jobs to relax, they were spending it in misery, and sadness.
That really irked the hell out of me.
I wanted to shout from the rooftops – This isn’t how it’s supposed to be. Life is supposed to be easy. Humans aren’t supposed to work so damn hard.
But instead of shouting it from the rooftops, I’m doing it metaphorically through my words and my blog.
I want you to know if you are living a life of misery and joylessness due to a soul-sucking job, there is an alternative. It’s called kicking the shit of that job by doing your own thing.
Some Excuses We All Make
I know, I know.
You probably have a million excuses in your head right now. Let me list a few that I came up with in order to avoid quitting my job (and the work horror stories) and rationalize a miserable existence. And a few add-ons.
- Have a mortgage (or whatever other bills you might want to put here)
- Have children (and they are expensive)
- Elderly parents (and healthcare is expensive)
- Too old (I am 32 for god’s sake, but I still had this excuse)
- Too young (I used this one a few years ago – how things have changed)
- I am too creative (hit me in the head with anything you find – this excuse is the worst)
The List of What-Ifs
- I fail?
- I lose everything and go bankrupt?
- Have to live on the streets?
- My parents see me as a failure and disown me?
- I lose all of my friends?
- Become a rich, lonely person?
- I don’t know how to do something related to my business? (FYI – with Fiverr and Upwork, everything can be outsourced for pennies on the dollar).
How many of these excuses have you made yourself so you don’t have to avoid your work horror stories?
I’m sure you have used several of these if not all at one point or another. I definitely did.
Why Does Your Happiness Matter
A miserable job isn’t only bad for you, but it affects your family, your friends, your relationships, your city, your country, and the whole world.
One miserable person isn’t just one miserable person. It is one more person adding to the misery of the world.
And one happy person isn’t just one happy person. It’s one happy person negating all the misery that exists in the world.
That’s why happiness has always been my paramount goal in life (sometimes to the exclusion of everything else).
To me, happiness means I spend a majority of my time on projects that help me help the world become a better place.
I noticed that as soon as I quit my job (my work horror stories) and started my own business, everything in my world became brighter.
- I started losing weight and my skin became clearer and tauter.
- My relationship with my parents and my friends became happier and less strained.
- My relationship with myself improved – I began loving myself more unconditionally.
- I started waking up with strength and vigor – excited to start the day (I had heard of this phenomenon before, but I had never experienced it)
- Spending my days dealing with rejection after rejection didn’t faze me.
- My learning rate has upped because my business depends on it.
- I have more time than ever to read, do yoga, write, learn, bike, and do everything else that makes me joyful (weirdly enough, none of it includes shopping, binge-drinking, or crying after a day of work).
- I have meditated consistently for 6 months now and it’s changed my inner landscape.
There have been so many more changes but they are all so subtle that I can’t explain them to you on paper.
All I can say is that people from my previous job tell me I look happier when they see me, even though I was a really happy person even then. The change is so obvious to them.
Life Is Easy – Say No To Work Horror Stories
You know why we are miserable and fat and broke. No, it isn’t only because we have no self-control leading us to eat too much, drink too much, exercise not enough, and spend too much money.
That’s just part of the reason.
The other reason is because the corporations want to keep us that way.
You see happy people don’t buy stuff they don’t need, they don’t eat or drink shit, and they exercise because they love themselves enough for it.
Don’t believe me?
Think about the last time you were living in flow state. The state where everything is perfect and you are in alignment with the universe. In that state, you were probably eating very little, exercising a lot (biking, walking, skipping), and not buying crap (because who has time for that?).
But when you are miserable (because you have work horror stories and you want to kill yourself), you:
- Spend money on stuff you don’t need to make yourself feel better.
- Eat a lot of fatty and sugary items because your body craves those items to make itself feel better.
- Spend a lot of time on the couch sitting and watching TV because it helps you numb yourself.
- Don’t spend any time socializing or if you do, it always ends up being about binge-drinking again to numb yourself from the pain.
Don’t even get me started on all the prescription medications that we are all on because we are anxious, or depressed, or whatever else it might be, all due to a miserable job.
The Time Is Now to Kick Your Work Horrors Stories Away
My friends, the reason I am being so blunt about everything is because there is no better time to make a change.
The resources we have now at our disposal means we can start our own thing in a matter of seconds. We can buy domains, incorporate our business, get logos made, get a website made, build sales funnels, build courses, get an e-book written, and all of that in a matter of days, if not hours.
We are truly living in a world of miracles.
And we are living in the best time possible to be an entrepreneur.
The choice is yours. The time is now. Make the change.